Saturday, October 2, 2010

1,2,3s and A,B,Cs

It's hard to describe what the first week of teaching was like.  Perhaps I could say it was like a whirlwind.  Or maybe a tornado.  Maybe I could even liken it to a small earthquake.  However, no analogy will describe it quite accurately enough as this: I felt like I had been run over by a bus.  A school bus.

I reported in for work at 6:30am sharp, readied my classroom, and waited for my first kiddos to show.  Within fifteen minutes five of my students were already playing in my room; fifteen minutes after that my class population had doubled.  Most of my kids already knew each other (from attending prekindergarten at the same school) so they were comfortable and fortunately there were no criers.  By our 7:30 starting time, I had all fifteen students listed on my roster plus a new student. 

During the first day we toured the classroom, talked about standing in line, stood in line, went on break, ate lunch, played nicely with each other, learned a letter or two, sang a song, explored all the varying stations in our little classroom (art, math, reading, writing, and free play), and before we all knew it, it was time to go home already!  Day 1 down.

Since Day 1, the students have learned our class rules, faithfully charted daily weather, learned the days of the week, have begun writing letters and numbers, learned three nursery rhymes, have written their own book of nursery rhymes, had stories read to them, learned about the Ugly Duckling and Puss in Boots, visited the school library, have begun learning sight words, can tell you their colors and several of their shapes, have each spoken in front of the class, and can all do A-K in sign lanugage.  If this sounds pretty good to you it sounds exhausting to me! 

Along with the intellectual side of school, the students have also learned how to make friends, hurt each other's feelings, say sorry, share (in a definitely on-going process), walk in class, respect each other, respect their teacher, help each other, clean up after themselves, and have fun.  I have already talked to varying students about hitting each other, poking each other, trying to pick each other up, hugging each other, not sharing, being nice, standing in line, obeying the first time, listening, raising their hands, NOT running in the classroom, and learning to listen even if they're standing up (for the wiggly ones).  I think about the only issue I have not dealt with yet is biting another student (and hopefully won't have to!)

In short, I can say, now with TWO weeks under my belt, I am thoroughly enjoying being a kindergarten teacher!  The kids are a blast and are SO curious about everything!  They like to learn and enjoy it.  I love seeing them grow intellectually and in all other areas of life.  Being able to foster a classroom environment of love and acceptance with firm discipline is a huge task but a great joy.  I am looking forward to seeing just how much my little kiddos grow by the time I am writing a post about leaving for the summer!

Little things can be a big reward for a teacher, such as hearing a student say, "Thank you, Miss Sherrie, for all you did for us today."  WOW!  Now THAT brightens my day - no matter how crazy it's been!

Well, I'm heading into town (I don't think I'll get lost this time).  I've got to go pick up our class pet - mini turtles!

1 comment:

  1. Mini turtles?!?!
    Miss Johnson, I MUST come see you!!! And the turtles... :)

    ReplyDelete