Sunday, September 12, 2010

Life on the Island

There are many things I want to post all at once, but for now I will limit myself to one aspect of life on the Island – Grocery Shopping.

I have yet to acquire my own transportation. This results in one of two things – 1.) Someone drives me places or 2.) I walk. Now, I am not one to mind walking. Given the chance, I would rather ride a bike, but walking isn’t a bad second choice. However, this is the Middle East where women don’t really walk alone. Anywhere. But I need food and no one’s around. I feel a tad bit stressed as I head outdoors, but I’ve got to get groceries, so out I go. It’s nearly 5pm and the sun goes down in 45 minutes, so I need to hustle.

Out the door, around the corner, down the street (avoiding any and all form of the male species), through a dirt lot (still avoiding the male species), down an alley (especially avoiding the male species), around corner #2 and I arrive at the grocery store.

In the store I can relax, breathe easy, and enjoy myself. I can stroll rather carefree down the aisles, perusing the vast quantities of Middle Eastern and imported goods for sale. I may take my time choosing what I like, and can look around to get a good view of my surroundings (without looking at any male faces, of course). Inside the grocery store, I am a happy lark. Until, that is, I look at my watch and realize with some dread that it’s 5:45pm and the sun just dipped below the horizon. That means I need to get going – fast.

I collect the last few items on my list while the call to prayer is broadcast over the loudspeakers and head to the checkout counter. I pay for my purchases, hope the person packing my things doesn’t squash my already too-ripe tomatoes, shove as much as I can in a large shoulder bag, pick up the few remaining sacks, and head for the exit.

Outside, there is just enough light to walk the streets alone as a woman and reasonably get away with it. There happen to be quite a few men out today and I keep my head down, eyes pointed just in front of my feet. Even when a group of elementary school boys approach I lower my head and gaze. I am fully covered except for a head scarf and they all pass on by, noticing that I take no notice of them. My peripheral vision becomes quite good. As does my hearing – I don’t see a car coming as much as I hear it.

Back around the corner, up the alley (always avoiding the men), through the dirt lot, up the street, around the corner, and a slight smile may be seen on my face. I have successfully reached my fair haven, teacher building No. 2, with every single item on my list!    

Except cereal.  Ugh.  Back I go! (Tomorrow!)

2 comments:

  1. So thankful you survived. I kept saying, "Oh, Sherrie!" as I read it. I thought your mom must be having a heart attack as she read it. I had to keep reminding myself as I read, that you were able to write the blog, therefore, you made it home alive. You need a car!

    ReplyDelete